Current information about the coronavirus
The wave of infection by the new corona virus is affecting all of our lives and is forcing us to restrict our services in order to protect you and our employees*. On this page you will find all information on the current measures.
- Due to the risk of infection, there are no personal office hours taking place at the moment. Please contact us via phone of e-mail.
- In case of an irrefutable visit to Studierendenwerk, please think about the recommendation of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), to keep minimum disctace to another person. This way you contribute to keeping the infection rist at a minimum. You protect yourself, other visitors as well as the employees of Studierendenwerk.
- Sick people, or those who have spent some time in the last 14 days in a high risk area as well as those who have been in contact with an infected person should under no circumstances visit Studierendenwerk.
The current, exceptional situation is a challenge for students in many ways. There are also many financial uncertainties. We would be happy to help you find solutions and provide you with some FAQs of the Association of German Studierendenwerke. Please note that in Rhineland-Palatinate your respective university is responsible for your BAföG.
- 04.05.2020 The Mensa GFG ist reopened with a wide range of take away food and beverages.
- 23.03.2020 From Monday, all refectories and cafeterias will be closed, the Mensa-Blitz will cease operation, too.
- 20.03.2020 As of Friday, Café K3 on the campus of HS Mainz and the coffee bar insgrüne at JGU will also be closed.
- 17.03.2020 All consultation hours are suspended until further notice. The Info-Point will also be closed for customer traffic. Please get in touch with your contact person by mail or phone.
- 17.03.2020 In view of the corona pandemic and the restrictions at universities, we have to limit our gastronomic offer.
As of Tuesday, 17.03., the Zentralmensa, Mensaria, Mensa K3 and Mensa Holzstraße, as well as Café Rewi and Café Rochusberg in Bingen will be closed.
For the other establishments the following opening hours apply:
Mensa GFG 9.30 am to 4 pm, food distribution until 3.30 pm Mensa Bingen as usual Café K3 9 am to 3 pm Kaffeebar insgrüne 9 am to 3 pm Mensa Blitz according to current timetable
- Events always carry a high risk of infection, so we unfortunately have to cancel all our events until April 20th.
- 16.03.2020 According to press reports, all schools and daycare centres in Rhineland-Palatinate will be closed from Monday. This also applies to the daycare centres of the Studierendenwerk Mainz. As soon as detailed information is available, all affected parties will be informed.
- 16.03.2020 We ask all residents of the dormitories to use the consultation hours only in urgent emergencies and to contact us by e-mail or telephone first. More detailed information, business hours and contact persons can be found in this document.
- 13.03.2020 From now on, self-service offers in our refectories and cafeterias will be restricted. The salad buffet will be replaced by salad plates for the time being, the pan dish will be served by our staff.
- 13.03.2020 In the canteens, that cutlery is being handed out from today, to prevent a possible infection through the self service at the cutlery stations.
Help and financial support during the Corona pandemic
For students, the corona pandemic may also cause financial distress. Not only the university and colleges are closed ¬- restaurants, bars and shops have also had to close, thus depriving the many student assistants of an important source of income. In addition, the parents of many students have had to accept a loss of income due to short-time work and other measures and are unable to support their children as before.
Hence, it is no wonder that we are currently receiving many more requests for financial support. We are therefore offering our advice by telephone and e-mail and are making it possible to submit applications in digital form. We have also made it easier for students to prove their academic achievements in order to help them in financial emergencies quickly and unbureaucratically.
If you need support, please contact us by e-mail:
For loans and advice on student loans firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students of the JGU: email@example.com
- Students of Mainz University of Applied Sciences, Department of Engineering and Design: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students of the University of Applied Sciences Mainz, Department of Economics: email@example.com
- Students of the TH Bingen: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are a few more useful tips
Update BAföG application
- BAföG-supported students
If parents are able to pay less or no more parental maintenance due to loss of job or short-time work, a BAföG update application is advisable.
- Students who have not yet applied for BAföG
If the part-time job is completely eliminated, a BAföG application can be an alternative.
In Rhineland-Palatinate, you can obtain full details of the application from your respective university, e.g. for Johannes Gutenberg University at www.bafoeg.uni-mainz.de
Find a new job quickly
People are urgently needed in the health care, retail and agricultural sectors.
These portals help with the job search:
• Studis online
• Das Land hilft
• Hessischer Bauernverband
• Saisonarbeit in Deutschland
• Corona Connect
- Anyone who has a medical education (medical degree; nurse) can contact a hospital in the medical dean's office and ask if there is a need for manpower.
We will keep you updated with any changes concering the coronavirus.
You will find the most important well illusstrated hygiene tips for preventing contagion here.
Please find further information abou tthe situation in Mainz and Bingen in the Website of the health ministry of Rhineland-Palatine.